- 4 lbs. russet potato, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb. St. Jorge cheese (made by Joe Mattos), grated
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Butter a 12×8x2.5 inch oval casserole dish or similar 2 qt. casserole. Slice potatoes as thin as possible (use the thin slicing blade on your food processor). Layer half the potatoes in the bottom of a casserole evenly. Cover with half the St. Jorge cheese. Season with a pinch of salt and white pepper. Cover with remaining potatoes and cheese. Season again with salt and pepper. Add cream slowly so that it is has time to settle between the layers. Add enough cream so that it comes almost to the top, but does not quite cover all the potatoes. Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, or until a small knife passed through the center passes without resistance. Allow to rest for approximately 20-30 minutes. Serve warm.
- For an alternate presentation, allow the potatoes to cool, place in the refrigerator overnight. Once chilled, you can cut the potatoes into a square, circle or other shape and bake for 10-15 minutes on a buttered baking pan (375 degrees). You can then serve one piece to each guest.