Roasted Gulf Shrimp with Fennel-Apple Salad and Ginger-Mustard Aioli
This is a wonderful and simple way to prepare shrimp and it is a very wine-friendly dish. I served this at a recent Wine Club Luncheon, with the Paradise Ridge 2006 Estate Sauvignon Blanc. If the wine you choose is a little higher in acid, then a touch of small freshly squeezed lemon can help bring everything into balance. Try the first bite without and the second with a bit of lemon and see how you prefer it.
- 12 each White Gulf Shrimp, large (under 15 per pound), peeled and “deveined”
- 2 teaspoons Olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon Chipotle Chili powder
- To taste Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 cup Ginger-Mustard Aioli
- 2 cups Mache (lamb’s lettuce)
- 3 cups Fennel-Apple Salad see recipe below
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the shrimp with olive oil, salt and chipotle chili powder. Place shrimp on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 5-7 minutes and remove when just cooked.
- Place a portion of the fennel-apple salad in the center of each plate. Top the salad with two shrimp (slightly warm) and drizzle around the plate with the aioli.
- 2 cups Fennel, shaved or very thinly sliced
- 3 each Apples, Gravenstein or other sweet-tart apple, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/2 teaspoon Tarragon, fresh, chopped
- To taste coarse sea salt
Combine all ingredients and season to taste with coarse sea salt.
It is very important that the mustard you choose be true whole grain. Good whole grain mustards have great texture and a more subtle mustard flavor. Maille mustard is a good choice.
- 1 each egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, very finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil, light
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin
- To taste salt and pepper
Combine the yolk, lemon zest, ginger, lemon juice and the mustard in a small mixing bowl. Using a whisk, stir this mixture together and slowly add the 2 oils. Taste and add salt and pepper until you like the flavor. Refrigerate until ready to use. You can make this a day ahead.