Yield: 1.8 pounds (70 gougeres)
- 1 cup water
- 3 1/2 ounce butter, unsalted, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces (wt) all-purpose flour (1 1/4 cups)
- 4 – 5 each eggs, large
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated (1/4 pound)
- 1/4 cup gruyere cheese, grated (1 ounce by weight)
- place water, salt & butter in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, add all the fpour at once and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon. It should “pull away” cleanly from the sides of the pot.
- Add eggs one at a time and stir until smooth after each addition. After adding the first 4 eggs, check the consistency of the batter. When the spoon is removed, the batter should peak and then fall back. If not, add the add’l egg white and check again. If needed, add the yolk.
- Add the larger amount of gruyere to the batter and mix thoroughly.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Pipe or spoon batter on to a non-stick baking pan or a baking pan lined with either a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Place in oven for 8 minutes until the puffs have tripled in size. Then, lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake for another 30-40 minutes, until the insides are dry and hollow and the outside is a light golden brown. Do not open the oven during baking!!
- Optional: add nutmeg and pepper.