Risotto with Peas and Mushrooms
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons McEvoy Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz. Fresh crimini mushrooms
- plus optional 1/4 ounce dried porcini
- mushrooms hydrated in cold water
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/3 cup Gallo of Sonoma Chardonnay
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat the chicken stock to a simmer and place on a back burner over the heat.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed 12-14 inch skillet. Add the onion and sauté until translucent but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. If using the optional dried porcini, remove from soaking liquid and add with the crimini, add the liquid to the hot stock. Add the rice and stir 1 minute to coat thoroughly. Add the wine, stirring constantly. Once the mixture is hot throughout add a 4-6 oz. ladle of stock and cook, stirring, until it is absorbed Continue adding stock a ladle at a time, waiting until the liquid is absorbed before adding more.
- When the rice is quite al dente (12-14 minutes) add the peas, continue to stir until the rice appears creamy and tastes tender throughout (15-17 minutes).
- Stir in the cheese until well mixed and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.